Thursday 05/04/07

Our German guests head off for Gearrannan on the 10.10am bus. This means they have to walk the last 1½ miles from Carloway. Discovered a nice recording of my favourite Easter music – the St Matthew’s Passion by Bach. Mrs B’s granddaughter calls round at lunchtime. She is off for the Easter break. I go to Crossbost on the 2.40 bus, not taking wet weather gear with me. Well, a mistake. During the 2½ hours that I was away, four showers (of drizzle) passed by. Arrived at Crossbost cemetery at 3pm, and went round to the jetty and the church after a call at the War Memorial. Found 14 Iolaire graves in the lower cemetery. Have finished there at 3.20, I have more than an hour to spare. Walked up the road into Crossbost proper, then headed north to the neighbouring village of Ranish. The sun comes out, contrasting the black patches of muirburn. Reach the shoreline of Loch Grimshader at Ranish, where two boats are pulled on the shore. Amble up the road to discover Teampuill Ranais, not properly signposted from the main road. Return to Crossbost through a shower of drizzle. It cools down markedly during the rain. Sheep wander the crofts, no lambs in sight. Nice view over Lochs Leurbost, Erisort and Grimshader. As I wait for the bus, back at Crossbost, an old sheepdog ambles by. The busdriver asked me if I’d had a nice time – yes, I found what I was looking for. Returned to town at 5pm, to buy the regional papers. Spoke to our guests, who had had a nice day over on the West Side. Tomorrow, they are going to Skye and on to Glasgow.

No comments: